For more than 70 years, the Furman Home for Funerals has been a caring presence in the Leola community. Family-owned and operated since the beginning, we pride ourselves on the quality of our service.
Alfred R. Furman established the Furman Home for Funerals in 1952 in the Village of Monterey. Furman, a native of Hegins, Pennsylvania, graduated from the American Academy of Mortuary Science and Research. He served his apprenticeship with the Farrow Funeral Home in Shamokin, Northumberland County, and became a licensed funeral director in 1950. In 1952 when he moved to the Leola area, Furman was one of the youngest proprietor/owners of a funeral home in Pennsylvania.
The Furman Home for Funerals moved from Monterey to 200 West Main Street in the village of Leacock prior to moving to its present location at 59 West Main Street, Leola, in 1964.
In 1983, Philip W. Furman graduated from the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science. After serving his apprenticeship with his father in the family business, he became a licensed funeral director. In 1992, Alfred Furman retired and the reins were passed to Philip as the owner and director of the funeral home. Alfred R. Furman, age 80, died on March 11, 2007.
Our funeral home provides a peaceful atmosphere. The building was constructed in 1909 by H. M. Stauffer, a prominent industrialist of the time. It served as a residence for three generations of Stauffers. Much of the ornate woodwork appears as it did when first built. The grounds surrounding the funeral home are pleasant and serene. The shrubbery and large flowerbeds add to the beauty of the stately building.